Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spring Fashion

Today I was looking at the Spring 2011 pret-a-porter (ready to wear) fashion shows. Personally my favorite type of fashion shows are the couture shows, with their out-there ideas and over-the top glamour, but I like the pret-a-porter ones just as well. They were filled with neutral colors; beiges, blacks, whites, and peaches, interspersed now and then with a vibrant line of green or pink. I've only had time to look through the A's of all the designers who's shows are available through the Internet. Below are my views on my favorite of this year . . . so far:  


I really liked Alexander McQueen's show but was unfortunately put off by the braids. I really liked the fitted jackets, pleated skirts, flyaway fabric, and lace which was present throughout most of the show. My favorite dresses were probably the gold lace gown with the stringy skirt and clinging bodice worn by Patricia van der Vliet ( #29 on the slide show) or the barely there floral lace dress worn by Karlie Kloss (#30). Although I have to say that my favorite item overall would probably have been either the all white ensemble that included a fitted jacket, skirt and ruffled collar worn by Maud Welzen ( #2) or the all black, pleated, lace dress worn by Lili Ji (#12).While, overall, I enjoyed the show, there was one piece that I wasn't a huge fan of. And that was an odd tentacle thriving piece worn by Jac ( # 34).  Good job to Sarah Burton though. I think she is doing a great job in keeping together Alexander McQueen's empire and making it easier on the fashion community to cope with his untimely death. May he rest in peace.

Alexis Mabille, who is a very recent designer, is rapidly becoming one of my favorites, although he received mixed reviews this year on his line, I really enjoyed the lightness and sense of spring (isn't that the point?) to the show. In fact, one of my favorite pieces of clothing ever shown on a runway show would have to include a black velvet dress topped by a detailed blue and gold bodice and covered with randomly strewn silk flowers, worn  by Maria Kashleva in his Fall 2010 Couture line; 

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2011RTW-AMABILLE

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/F2010CTR-AMABILLE 

Anyways, back to this line. My favorites were probably a belted blouse with billowy sleeves, worn over a pair of black jeans and detailed sandals modeled by Sona Matufkova or a thigh length black dress with lace sleeves topped by white lace frill and worn over a kind of large weave pair of fishnet tights.

Favorite items of all the ones I have looked at included: a gray see-through trench worn by Jac at 3.1 Phillip Lim, a knitted black sweater, belted at the waist and worn over a metallic pencil skirt and gray pumps modeled by Nadiia Shapoval at A Detacher, and an ivory knee-length dress with a beaded bodice and light silk skirt worn by Katie Fogarty at ADAM. 


http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2011RTW-PLIM

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2011RTW-ADETACH

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2011RTW-ADAMEVE

For a list of all the shows click here: 


I will be reviewing and reporting in on what I think of the others as soon as I can get through them. My neighbor has asked me to hem a couple pieces of clothing for her, which is rather exciting, seeing as this will be my first out-of-family job concerning sewing! I'm very excited but nervous that I will mess it up and feeling very guilty about spending time on here when I know I should be working on it. Having said that I better be going. I have another french test tomorrow and desperately need to study!

Au Revoir!

"Clothes and jewellery should be startling, individual. When you see a woman in my clothes, you want to know more about them. To me, that is what distinguishes good designers from bad designers."- Alexander McQueen.

No comments:

Post a Comment